Monday, June 11, 2007

My Palm


I admit, I am low tech.

I dont have any idea what's an ipod, a tivo, an mp3, mp4, a blackberry/blueberry, whatever. I cant even spell them right! I know of them, yes. Thanks to some friends who tried to orient me. But they, too, completely failed. I still maintain my null knowledge of them.

Oh, but I do have camera, bluetooth and video in my handy. Only, I dont use them at all. Once in a while, the camera, yes. But the photos remain in my handy. Never to be seen by anyone.

Of course, the computer. I know how to type, send and receive emails, post a blog, download photos and shop online. I know how to browse, to google for info, to buy and sell in ebay. But I dont know how to download music and videos. In fact, I only learned about YouTube a few months ago! How about that!

At first, I was not interested, because I dont have much time to spend in front of the computer. That changed now to, me being simple minded bordering on ignoramus, because I feel so left out, so low tech. But hey, who's complaining.

Mind you, I didnt realize that I've been in riding the trend since a few years back because of my Palm from Tungsten. The Palm was a Christmas gift from my husband. He was so fascinated with how a small thing can contain loads of infos all at the same time, that he bought me one. Actually, I have a feeling he really wanted one for himself. Which he also got and he is really using it. He gave me one, too, as a substitute to my daily diary writing. Well, I was happy to get it. I felt a bit high tech, but only a bit. Because I suddenly realized, I wont really need most of its functions. I dont even understand most of the function of the Palm.

Oh yeah, I loaded my contact addresses, my important dates, my other docs, used it as a calculated, downloaded photos, but diary writing wont compare to having a real diary. And having a desk calendar on reach to scribble on, I missed it. So as not to offend my husband, I tried to hide from him the fact that I was having an overload of small post its all over our small office and that I bought myself a notebook to maintain my diary writing.

Oh heck, the Palm comes in handy when I get bored. I can write things down. Or ask the kids to sing so I can record them. Or tinker on the dates and addresses. But only when I bring it with me, which is not so oft. I dont want to be adding more weight to my already heavy mommy bag.

Now, my Palm sits in its rightly position, beside the computer -- to be a calculator, to give our contact details and to present me with the calendar, to scribble on important details. And that was that!

No comments: